Instructor: Sami Rollins
Course Hours: Tuesday 5:00pm - 6:30pm
Location: Arlington Tower 3rd floor (during January)
This experience is designed for students who have taken a non-traditional path into computing. It will help students to develop their identity as computer scientists. Throughout the semester, students deepen their sense of belonging in the field of computing by:
- Developing an understanding of the field as a whole and possible career paths
- Examining identity and discussing how to make the field of computing more inclusive
- Identifying techniques for success as a computing student including effective study habits and time management approaches
- Building a network of support including peers, near-peers, faculty, alums, and support staff
The seminar activities will include the following:
- Reflection on personal and social identity
- Alumni panel and discussion of life in the tech industry
- Reflection on coursework and successful study approaches
- Discussion of different roles in the tech industry
- One 1 hour 30 minute meeting per week; minimal outside work will be expected.
- Attendance and participation in all sessions is expected.